How to Make a Bong Using Fruit
Bored of smoking your weed the same way over and over again? Looking for a fun, affordable alternative? Keep reading in order to find out how to make a homemade bong using something as simple as fruit!
When it comes to making a bong from fruit all you need is to know what parts of the bong are what and know your way around the fruit. You can use pretty much any fruit you want to make your homemade bong. We’re going to first have a quick look at the parts of an actual bong before we start going through the different fruit that you can use.
Parts of a bong
- Tube/Chamber: this is the (usually) straight part of the bong through which the smoke ascends before you inhale it.
- Base: this is where the water goes, which is used to cool smoke down and improve flavor.
- Carburetor: this is a hole on the side of the bong which helps you to inhale smoke and it also cools it down even more, improving air-flow.
- Bowl: this is where your weed goes.
- Downstem: this part allows the smoke to go from the bowl down to the base, into the water and filtering up through the bong.
Now that you know what each part of your bong is for, the general idea is to try and imitate its shape with fruit. You’ll need to choose large fruits that you can put some water in in order to get the full bong experience. The fruit that we’re going to use here are pineapple, melon, watermelon, coconut and pumpkin.
Materials needed for your homemade fruit bong:
You’ll need a series of items and accessories if you want to obtain the best possible results.
- Bong bowl
- Downstem (unless you have a bowl + stem combo)
- 3-5cm tube for inhaling
- Straight edge 20cm blade
- Power drill
- Drill bit slightly smaller than the diameter of the downstem
- 8-10mm drill bit for the carburetor and inhalation tube
- Bottled water
- Bowl/basin to work in
This list contains everything you could possibly need to successfully make a bong out of almost any fruit, although you can get great results without needing all of these things as long as you know what you’re doing. Once you have all of your materials at the ready, it’s time to pick your fruit and start making a bong!
How to make a pineapple bong
The first homemade bong that we’re going to have a look at is a tropical classic; a pineapple bong. These bongs are super fun and make for great decoration too if you’re a bit artistic; you can decorate these bongs any way you’d like. Your friends will be dying to try it.
- Cut the top off of the pineapple – this is your lid. Try and make as straight a cut as possible.
- Empty the pineapple using the spoon until you need to use the knife.
- Make a hole in the lid with the tools you’ve chosen (the drill or even a corkscrew)
- Connect this hole to the tube you’re going to use to inhale
- Make a second hole just straddling the upper half of the center of the pineapple. Try and angle it downwards, as this is where you’ll be placing your downstem. Make sure that the bottom of the downstem goes far enough in so that it’s sitting in the water.
- Pour in some bottled water until the bottom of the downstem is about 2-3cm in the water.
- This step is optional – you can make a carburetor hole in the top half of the pineapple if you want.
These are the 7 steps that you’ll need to take in order to make your own fantastic, tropical pineapple bong. All you have to do now is fill the bowl up with your favorite weed or herbal mixture and enjoy your pineapple bong!
How to make a melon bong
Melon bongs are one of the most made alternative bongs, as they’re usually they most available fruit and pretty easy to turn into a bong – it’s super easy to make holes in and it’s even easier to empty out.
- The first thing you’ll need to do is make a lid. Cut the melon in half slightly above the halfway mark and clean out any pips from the inside using your spoon.
- Cut off the stem at the top so that you have a smooth surface to work with.
- Make a hole in the top of the lid for the downstem and bowl.
- Make a second hole in the side of the lid for the tube.
- Empty out the melon entirely using the spoon and fill it with water until its covering part of the stem.
- You can make your optional carburetor hole anywhere on the melon – make sure it’s nowhere near the water, though.
For this bong, we’ve placed the downstem and tube on the top of the melon. With the pineapple, we used the side because the leaves on the top are quite the decoration. Also, the melon is much easier to make holes in than the pineapple
How to make a watermelon bong
Watermelon bong’s are incredibly similar to melon bongs, although they differ in size and can hold much more water and smoke. The great thing about watermelon bongsis that you can use various bowls, downstems and tubes and have a smoking session with some friends – you can all smoke at the same time!
It’s is a great way to spice up a summer afternoon.
- First you’ll need to prepare the watermelon and make a lid. Cut it above the halfway mark and clean out any pips.
- Make a hole in the center of the lid for your downstem and bowl.
- Make another hole in the side of the lid for the tube or mouthpiece.
- Empty out the inside of the watermelon and fill it up with water until it reaches the downstem.
- You can make an optional hole as a carburetor anywhere you’d like, just make sure it’s not near the water.
If you want, you can use the juice and water inside the watermelon instead of bottled water in order to give your smoke a special twist. It’s also incredibly easy to make holes in and to empty out – it’s a great choice for a homemade bong if you don’t have much time and lots of friends have come round.
How to make a coconut bong
Coconut bongs may be one of the hardest to make due to how hard and fragile coconuts generally are. However, it’s the sturdiest and most-durable bong of them all – if you make it properly, you have a bong for life. If you don’t have a power drill you probably won’t be able to make the necessary holes without cracking the coconut’s shell.
- Make two holes incredibly carefully using the power drill; one in the middle, and another slightly off to the side. In this particular case, we’re not going to make a lid as the entire coconut would probably crack.
- Pour out the coconut water into a glass and use the spoon handle to get rid of as much coconut as possible. This may take a while.
- Pour the coconut water back in, about halfway up.
- Place the downstem and bowl in the hole in the middle, and the tube in the hole to the side.
- Fill your bowl and begin to smoke!
We highly recommend using the coconut water, as it’ll give your smoke a delicious extra kick to it, although you can also use bottled water if you’d prefer. Make sure not to hit the coconut off of anything or it may crack, which won’t be noticeable until you go to fill it with water.
How to make a pumpkin bong
You can use various different types of pumpkin to make your bong; common, American and coniferous pumpkins – they’re all large enough and easy enough to handle when it comes to making a large bong. These bongs are also great for impressing friends at Halloween.
- In order to make the lid, you’ll need to take a lot of care and cut out a hole around the stem at the top of the pumpkin.
- Pull the lid up and off and then begin emptying out the pumpkin using a spoon.
- Make two holes on the sides of the pumpkin – one for the downstem and bowl, and another for the mouthpiece/tube. You can also make a third, optional hole for the carburetor.
- Fill it with water, making sure that the downstem is slightly under the water.
- Fill your bowl up with your best weed or favorite herbs and enjoy!
Make sure to make a clean cut or else you may end up leaving open spaces, which can make it hard to inhale smoke. If this happens, you can use some tape to cover up the holes.
The list of materials provided at the start of this post is so that you can work as comfortably as possible. However, you can make all of these bongs using a knife, spoon and a bit of skill – except for the coconut bong.