CBD (cannabidiol) is one of the 120 cannabinoids present in marijuana plants and also the most popular and researched non-psychoactive compound. Therefore, contrary to other cannabinoids, this one already has certain proven medical benefits, such as the benefits on CBD for athletes, while training and during the recovery phase.
Plenty of elite athletes have admitted to consuming CBD to speed up their post-training recovery. Stars such as Michael Phelps, Usain Bolt or Karl Anthony Towns already include this cannabinoid in their life to help with muscle relaxation, relieve pain or get a good night sleep, among others.
This cannabinoid can be consumed in plenty of ways, you can even make your own CBD oil at home.
How is CBD helpful for athletes?
Cannabidiol has progressed from doctors being skeptical about it due to its cannabis origins, to being a new medical option in plenty of places. The benefits it provides to many conditions, such as epilepsy, anxiety or even Parkinson are clear: CBD is useful for lots of pathologies.
If we apply these benefits to sports, we have a product that helps the muscles recover faster; as well as relieving pain and post-training muscle soreness. It even improves performance. CBD’s benefits don’t end after training, it also improves concentration while working out. This is due to the effects of CBD in the endocannabinoid system; in concrete in TRPV1, TRPV2 and TRPA1 receptors, which are pain neurotransmitters.
These properties are helpful for athletes in plenty of aspects:
- Stress reduction: CBD can modify cortisol levels, which allows you to control anxiety and stress levels in order to perform at your best when training or during competitions.
- Boosts and speeds up recovery: After a good training session, it’s very common to feel muscle stiffness and discomfort. CBD lowers those symptoms and improves sleeping quality, which is essential to recover 100%.
- Improves performance: This cannabinoid isn’t only useful for post-training recovery, as it can also increase performance and resistance.
- Promotes bone and muscle growth: Creating and retaining muscle is very difficult and it can be sometimes nerve wrecking if you don’t have a good routine that includes proper nutrition, gym and a healthy lifestyle. CBD acts like a catabolic, which promotes muscle creation and makes it harder to lose.
Athletes in favor of CBD
Despite the fact that CBD is helpful in plenty of countries, its social stigma due to its cannabis origin means that plenty of athletes aren’t comfortable using it. Over the past few years this is changing and the amount of sport starts in favor of CBD usage is on the rise.
- Karl Anthony Towns (basketball): “We are NBA players, not super-humans. The organization should let us use medical marijuana if it’s beneficial. Besides, I’ve shared some time with autistic children and seen how well they do with this substance reaffirms me in my beliefs.
- Nate Díaz (UFC): “ This is CBD. It helps my body heal and reduce inflammation, therefore I use it before and after each fight”.
- Mike Tyson (ex-boxer): “ If you have a sports career like I do, where pain is constantly part of your life, consider taking cannabis”.
- Paul Pierce (basketball): “ For those wondering why I consume CBD, ask yourselves, who was stabbed 11 times, dealt with death threats, anxiety and depression?
- Megan Rapinoe (soccer): “ CBD is essential for my recovery and helps me deal with pain. It also stabilizes my mood swings and helps me sleep better”.
It shall be mentioned that plenty of these athletes, like Rapinoe or Tyson, not only consume CBD but have also created brand products based on this cannabinoid.
Legal in the Olympic Games in Tokyo 2021
CBD studies have advanced so much over the years that the World Anti-Doping Agency, which was in charge of deciding illegal substances in the Olympic Games in Tokyo 2021, allowed athletes to use this cannabinoid.
Its analgesic, anti-inflammatory and relaxing properties were very popular among these athletes; who had to confront a month full of sport challenges. The AMA had to follow scientific evidence and remove CBD out of its list; as this cannabinoid is becoming very popular.
Which is the best CBD oil for athletes?
GB The Green Brand, as it couldn’t be any other way, sells an excellent MCT coconut CBD oil; perfect to recover after training. This product is for topical use only. It’s THC free and it’s available in three concentrations: 20%, 30% or 40% of CBD.
This product is perfect to relieve muscle soreness or tiredness produced by intense work out sessions. It complies with current legal regulations and features delicious white chocolate aromas.
This oil is made of CBD and L-Carnitine extracts; promoting muscle recovery, improving blood flow and optimizing nutrient usage while exercising.